NIOM has a well-qualified staff covering all aspects of dental biomaterials: clinical dentistry, biology, toxicology, analytic and polymer chemistry, metallurgy and mechanical testing.
Currently, a permanent staff of 22 scientists and research technicians are working together with research fellows and visiting scientists.
The following areas are coved by NIOM’s research activities:
- Safe and appropriate biomaterials
- Studies on patient exposure to leachables, degradation and corrosion products and their biological impact
- Studies on material composition, quality and ageing
- Evaluation of new and emerging materials and methods
- Studies on ceramic core materials and computer assisted design and manufacture
- Biomaterial characterization
- Studies on mechanical and chemical properties of biomaterials
- Clinical studies
- Studies in collaboration with the public dental service